A History of Antone Quijada and His Family
By Judith Marvin
Antone Quijada was born in Calaveritas in 1876, the son of Antonio Quijada and Francisca Guiterra, who were married in Mokelumne Hill in 1866. The senior Quijada was born in Chile ca. 1843, and naturalized by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The family resided in several places in Calaveras County: Mokelumne Hill, Mosquito Gulch (Glencoe), Calaveritas, San Domingo Camp, and Esmeralda, with Antonio noting his occupation as “farmer” (Calaveras County Great Registers of Voters, 1866, 1888).
Antonio Quijada died in 1890, leaving his 80-acre ranch, located on the ridge between Calaveritas and San Domingo creeks, to his sons Louis and Joseph. The Genocchio family, for whom Antonio worked, then took care of young Antone (Neal 2010). By the early 1900s Antone had homestead property near Esmeralda, selling it in 1903 (Deed Book 44:651). From 1902 to his death in 1951, Antone was registered to vote in the Altaville Precinct, noting his occupation as “laborer” (Calaveras County Great Registers of Voters, various), where he worked on ranches, on the nearby Calaveras Central Mine, and for the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
When Antone married Edna Tarr in 1915, they were attended by his brother David and Dollie Sabini, Edna’s cousin (Calaveras County Marriage Book G:257). Edna, who was one-quarter Mi-Wuk, was born on Washington Flat, the daughter of Margaret Henderson and Jasper Tarr (married at the Slab Ranch in 1889). Edna was deaf, due to a childhood illness, and others, including her daughter Tillie, translated for her. The Tarrs resided in a home on the Angels Deep Mine (Slab Ranch Mine) property, where Jasper worked.
Margaret/Maggie Henderson was the daughter of Mary Ginn and Sanford Henderson. Mary was a full-blooded Mi-Wuk who was later married to Washington Flat rancher Henry Ginn (owner of the later Massoni Ranch on property where her family had resided for generations). Although married to Euro-Americans, the Mi-Wuk women continued to reside within a few miles of their ancient village for several generations after the Gold Rush (Calaveras County Native American Genealogies).
Antone and Edna had nine children, five of whom lived to adulthood (Annie, Josephine, William/Billy, Tillie Bessie, and Martin Bert) in various locations near the Slab Ranch (Rolleri Ranch). After their marriage they resided in a home located on the east side of the present Rolleri Bypass, just south of the quarry (Edith Ross, personal communication 2000), then at the Birney Ranch (originally the Allen Taylor Ranch, now part of the Rolleri Ranch) where their children Frank and Julia died in 1927 (Calaveras County Inquest Records), and daughter Tillie was born in 1930, delivered by her aunt Tillie Jeff (a Mi-Wuk), for whom she was named. After the death of Edna’s uncle John Sabini in 1932, the family moved to his former home on the project property, where their son, Martin Bert, was born in 1935 (Neal 2010).
The Quijada family (Edna, Annie, and Josephine) was signed up on the Indian rolls by Romie Rolleri when the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) conducted their Census of California Indians (1928-1933).
Sometime thereafter the Quijadas moved into the Johnson house on the neighboring ranch, then owned by Romie Rolleri, where one of Antone’s primary occupations was irrigating the Rolleri’s Slab Ranch property (Banchero 2000; Neal, 2010).
When Quijada died in 1951, his occupation was noted as “pensioner,” evidently to the Rolleri family (Register of Deaths Book 8:307). Edna died in San Andreas in 1992, at over 100 years of age. The Johnson house stood vacant after his death until Romie Rolleri tore it down in 1955 (Banchero 1994; Calaveras County Assessment Roll 1955).
The house was recalled by Antone and Edna’s daughter Tillie Quijada Pullen as the “Little House,” the “Big House,” being the Johnson house (Neal 2010). The Little House was a one-story frame building with a corrugated metal roof and single-wall vertical board and batten siding. The house had a kitchen, pantry, and two bedrooms. A cellar, with an entry on the west side, was located beneath the house and was entered through a door from the outside porch, which was located on the north primary façade and wrapped around the west elevation. A woodshed adjoined the house on the east side. A large oak tree stood by the house, where the family hung their food in screened boxes to keep it cool.
An outhouse, with a concrete floor, was located “down the hill” from the house, while household garbage was dumped into a “big hole,” also down the hill. Water was obtained from a well near the Murphys Grade Road; when it went dry, Tillie and her father had to haul water. The house was torn down by Tillie and her father in the early 1950s and the lumber sold to the La Honda summer resort, where it was used to build a cabin that stands today.
The family never grew vegetables or raised livestock on the property, but purchased all their goods at Tony Oneto’s “little” store, located across Main Street from the Serbian Orthodox Church. Tillie noted that the family ran a tab at the store, and found out later that they had been cheated. When Tillie was older she lived in town, babysitting, ironing, and cooking for a family, returning home on weekends.
Tillie, who worked 25 years as a nurse at the Mark Twain Convalescent Hospital, and her brother Martin are the only surviving children of the family. She recalled her uncle Joseph (known as Yellowjacket) fondly, but noted that he was the town drunk. She also recalled that her mother took care of her grandfather Jasper Tarr, and that she later visited her aunt Susie Tarr, who worked many years as a nurse in San Francisco (Neal 2010).
- Bishop, Frances
- n.d. The Union Water Company. Unpublished ms. in the possession of the author and on file at Calaveras County Archives, San Andreas.
- 1983 “The Mysterious Disappearance of Windsor A. Keefer.” Las Calaveras, Volume XXXI, Number 3, April 1983. Quarterly Bulletin of the Calaveras County Historical Society, San Andreas.
- Bradley, Walter W.
- 1936 California Journal of Mines and Geology, Quarterly Chapter of State Mineralogist’s Report XXXII. State Division of Mines, San Francisco.
- Buckbee, Edna Bryan
- 1932 Pioneer Days of Angels Camp. Calaveras Californian, Angels Camp.
- 2005 Calaveras County Gold Rush Stories. Edited by Wallace Motloch. Calaveras County Historical Society, San Andreas.
- Calaveras Chronicle
- 1870 “James McElroy has accident in mine.” Calaveras Chronicle, June 4, 1870.
- Calaveras Enterprise
- 1960 “Gold Mine Land Sold for $21,000.” Calaveras Enterprise, San Andreas, December 9, 1960
- 1979 “Planning Commission Ruling Delays Work in Reopening of Calaveras Central Gold Mine.” Calaveras Enterprise, San Andreas, August 29, 1979.
- Calaveras, County of
- Tax Assessment Books
- Deed Books
- Mining Claims Entry Books
- Land Patent Entry Books
- Homestead Books
- Minutes of the Board of Supervisors
- Road Record Books
- Great Register of Voters
- Birth, Marriage, and Death Records
- Calaveras County Native American Genealogies
- n.d. Database. On file, Foothill Resources, Ltd., Murphy
- California State Division of Mines
- 1936 Report of the State Mineralogist. Sacramento.
- Clark, William B.
- 1970 Gold Districts of California, Bulletin 193. California Division of Mines and Geology, San Francisco.
- Clark, William B., and Philip A. Lydon
- 1962 Mines and Mineral Resources of Calaveras County, California. Report 2. California Division of Mines and Geology, San Francisco.
- Crawford, J. J.
- 1896 Thirteenth Report of the State Mineralogist. California Division of Mines and Geology, San Francisco.
- Culleton, Brendan, Thomas Jackson, Julia Costello, Judith Marvin, Jane Russell, and Shelly Davis-King
- 2000 Phase II Archaeological Investigations at Sites P-05-002048 and P-05-002049 on State Route 4, KP 33/95/37.65 (PM 21.1/23.4), Calaveras County, California (10-CAL-4 PM 21.1/23.4 – EA 10-362500, Contract 06A0242, Task Order 3. Prepared by Pacific Legacy Inc., Santa Cruz; Foothill Resources, Ltd., Mokelumne Hill; and Davis-King & Associates, Standard, California. Submitted to Dale Jones, Chief, Central Sierra Environmental Branch, District 10, Department of Transportation, Stockton, California.
- Davis-King, Shelly, Judith Marvin, Dorothea J Theodoratus, Terry L. Brejla, and Duncan E. Hay
- 1993 Waterscapes in the Sierra: Cultural Resources Investigations for the Angels Project (FERC 2699). Draft report submitted to Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Francisco.
- Davis-King, Shelly, Judith Marvin, Dorothea J Theodoratus, Terry L. Brejla, and Duncan E. Hay
- 1993 Waterscapes in the Sierra: Cultural Resources Investigations for the Utica Project (FERC 2019). Draft report submitted to Pacific Gas and Electric Company, San Francisco.
- Demarest, C. B.
- 1977 “Chronicles of Calaveras.” Las Calaveras, Vol. 25, No. 3. Bulletin of the Calaveras County Historical Society, San Andreas.
- Hall, William Hammond
- 1880 “Calaveras County Canals 1880.” California State Archives, Sacramento.
- Hamilton, Fletcher
- 1915 Mines and Mineral Resources of Amador County, Calaveras County, Tuolumne County. California State Mining Bureau, San Francisco.
- Harris, Ray D.
- 1931 Various articles on the Calaveras Central Mine. Calaveras Californian, Angels Camp
- Heckendendorn and Wilson
- 1856 Miners & Business Men’s Directory for the Year Commencing January 1st, 1856. Clipper Office, Columbia.
- Hobart Estate Company and Emma Rose Operating as Utica Mining Company
- 1933 State of California Board of Equalization, Valuation Division, Return and Informal Statement. On file, Utica Power Authority Office, Angels Camp, California.
- Julihn, C. E., and F. W. Horton
- 1938 Mineral Industries Survey of the United States. Mines of the Southern Mother Lode Region, Calaveras County. Bulletin 413. Bureau of Mines, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.
- Las Calaveras
- 1988 “Harvey Blood Built Pioneer Trade Center.” Las Calaveras, Vol. XXXVI, No. 2, Quarterly Bulletin of the Calaveras County Historical Society, San Andreas.
- Limbaugh, Ronald H., and Willard P. Fuller, Jr.
- 2003 Calaveras Gold, The Impact of Mining on a Mother Lode County. University of Nevada Press, Reno and Las Vegas.
- Lindgren, Waldemar
- 1911 The Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California. Professional Paper 73. United States Geological Survey, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Long, Earnest, editor
- 1976 Trips to the Mines, Calaveras County 1857-1859. Calaveras Heritage Council, San Andreas.
- Marvin, Judith
- 1987 Draft History of the Central Hill Mines. Prepared for Archaeological Services, Inc. (ASI), Stockton, California.
- McElroy Gravel Mining Company
- 1872 Certificate of Incorporation of the McElroy Gravel Mining Company. On file, California State Archives, Sacramento.
- Noyes, Leonard W.
- 1858 Journal and Letters, 1853-1858. Unpublished Manuscript on file, Essex Institute, Salem, Massachusetts.
- San Andreas Independent
- 1857 “Hockman and Reynolds Ranch.” November 14.
- 1858 “Altaville.” February 13.
- Supernowicz, Dana E.
- 2008 Angels Bypass Project HABS/HAER Mitigation McElroy/Union Ditch (CA-CAL-1369H) and Gold Cliff Ditch (CA-CAL-374H), Angels Camp, Calaveras County, California. California Department of Transportation, Cultural and Community Studies Office, Sacramento.
- Thorne, W. E., and A. W. Hooke
- 1929 Mining of Alluvial Deposits. Mining Publications, Ltd., London, England.
- U.S. Federal Census
- 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
- Utica Power Company
- 1932 Agreement for Sale and Purchase of Water by and Between Utica Mining Company and Angels Ditch Water Users Association. On file, Utica Power Authority Office, Angels Camp.
- Wood, R. Coke. 1952 Murphys, Queen of the Sierra. Oldtimer’s Museum, Murphys.
- Wood, R. Coke. 1955 Calaveras, the Land of Skulls. Mother Lode Press, Sonora