Albany Flat

Image of Romaggi Store
Article

Romaggi Store

By Judith Marvin 2012

The one place that stayed constant through mining and agriculture at Albany Flat was the store of Andrew Lee & Co., now known as the Romaggi Building.  The lore and legends surrounding the Romaggi house and store are many and varied, including stories of visits by Joaquin Murietta (who was beheaded before the building was erected), use as a Mexican Fandango house (never owned by Mexicans), built in 1851-52 (no stone buildings were erected in Calaveras County before 1854), and built by James Romaggi (he didn’t immigrate until 1858).  The f

Commands