Sandy Gulch

Article

Wilseyville
From interview with Pat Blagen, 2002

Wilseyville is a relative newcomer to Calaveras County, established in 1941 as a lumber town in the area known as Sandy Gulch. It was laid out by Howard Blagen for Associated Lumber and Box. Blagen also designed the company’s lumber mill. The town was named for Lawrence Wilsey who was manager at the Blagen Mill in White Pines, near Arnold. Wilseyville consisted of company-owned homes and store as well as the mill buildings. Mill workers purchased or rented homes built by the company in the 1940s. Blagen Hall, the community center, served as a meeting place for residents.

Article

Ditches of Sandy Gulch
by Patrick B. McGreevy, Glencoe, 2007

Harris Ditch. The miners constructed the first ditch and it diverted water from the Middle Fork of the Mokelumne River west of Schaad’s Reservoir and carried it west for some eight miles to Sandy Gulch as far as the Woodhouse Mine (J.A. Smith n.d.). The water finally entered Rose Gulch and apparently drained back into the Middle Fork of the Mokelumne River. This ditch was operational by 1853 (Calaveras County 1853; Alta California 1854; Surveyor-General of the State of California 1855). The Bunker Hill Canal and Mining Company was created in 1853 to manage the ditch. By 1856, Allen H.

Article

Development of Sandy Gulch Community
By Patrick B. McGreevy, Glencoe, 2007

While Sandy Gulch had its share of transient miners in the 1850s, a dozen families also immigrated to establish permanent homesteads. Large land holdings were developed into farms and ranches on the gentle slopes that were irrigated from the abundant springs and the Harris and Kadish ditches with their terminal channels. There were household gardens, an orchard, nursery, vineyard, black berries, hay and clover (J.A. Smith 1961; Calaveras County Assessments 1862, Herbert; Marvin 1983; McGreevy 2005c).

Article

Mining in Sandy Gulch
By Patrick B. McGreevy, Glencoe, 2007

In 1849, William and Dan Carsoner found large nuggets of gold embedded in the coarse sands of an intermittent creek and the place became known as Sandy Gulch (State Historic Landmark 1941). The miners soon arrived and established placer mines along Sandy Gulch Creek and its tributaries.

It is likely that the gold was depleted from Sandy Gulch Creek and its tributaries in the 1850s. There is only one record of hydraulic mining near the Woodhouse Mine where large cuts can still be seen in the earth (J. Smith n.d.; McGreevy 2005d) and there are only two records of hard rock mines.

Image of American Box  Corporation at Sandy Gulch
Article

American Box Corporation at Sandy Gulch
By Patrick B. McGreevy, Glencoe, 2007

Around 1909, Horace Tarter and Bert Webster created the American Box Corporation (ABC) in Stockton, supplying boxes and crates for fresh, dried and canned fruits and vegetables (American Eagle 1944). In the 1920s, Walter S.

Commands