Undoubtedly due to the renewed interest in mining occasioned by the hard rock mining boom in Angels Camp in the late 1880s, on June 25, 1888, Harvey Blood patented the Beda Blood Placer Mine.
Harvey Blood, a prominent citizen of Calaveras and Alpine counties, served as an assemblyman to the state legislature in the 1890s. A resident of Angels Camp, Blood and his family operated and maintained the Big Tree-Carson Valley Turnpike over Ebbetts Pass from 1864 to 1910. Blood’s Station, located at Grizzly Bear Valley, was a major stopover on the road to the Washoe mines.
On June 6, 1906, Harvey and Elizabeth Blood sold much of their Angels Camp property to James V. Coleman, a San Francisco mining entrepreneur who owned the Oneida Quartz mine and others in Angels Camp. Included in the sale was the McCormick Quartz mine in Altaville, as well as the Beda Blood Placer Mine (Deed Book 50:14).
Harvey Blood died in San Francisco in 1910 at the home of his daughter Reba, for whom Mt. Reba was named. James Coleman died of pneumonia at his San Francisco mansion in 1919, and his estate continued to be assessed for the Beda Blood Placer Mine through the 1930s (Calaveras County Assessment Rolls, various). As no improvements were ever noted on the property from the 1880s through the late 1930s, nor was it mentioned in the mining literature, it apparently never amounted to much. The two placer mining piles along the unnamed drainage could have been prospected at any time from the Gold Rush years and the land on the knoll groundsluiced with water from the ditches above.